The two big issues i have always had are:
- Trying to get a decent manifold for the right had drive is almost impossible!
- When you do try to use anything bigger than the standard down pipes you get lots of problems getting it past the steering coloumn.
Over the years i have tried loads of different options for exhausts (a couple you will see in other posts) and i have looked at all sorts of steering option (again, quite a few versions in older posts) so after trying lots of options that are made for the left-hand drive cars and seeing if i can customise them i got the “shorty” header from Opel GT Source (I had two as they were pre-production one) i hacked these about to see what i could come up with the hope that if i got a working version i could get someone to copy it and make me a proper one. So as you can see from my last post my ugly manifold worked!! but the company who said they could then make a proper version for me turned out to be the usual muppets and first off said they cant bend 2.5″ and then wanted about £400 to end up the 4 header 1.5″ tubes, plus welding on top of that and i would still have to make the lower part.
So I’m doing what i should have done years ago, making my own!! I did a bit of youtube watching on making exhausts with pie cuts, very nifty! So i bought some 2.4″ and 1.5″ sections and a very nice collector from OZ.
And so it begins!! I have made the lower section from a mix of pie cuts and 90 bend and i will be off tomorrow to the welders to see if they will weld it up for me! and then all being ok, when i have that back i will fit that and then start to make the header down section to join the lower part.
The good thing with this setup is a will be able to simplify my complicated steering setup and hopefully be able to set it up with just the 1 UJ. More on that later.
Now all welded up and fitted. Just the main section to go now and we are on the road!!